Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Our Christmas Miracle

This is the most amazing part of my story and I hope that I can describe it as being the magical experience that it was. I was transferred onto a stretcher and made comfortable by my nurse. She had never met me before yet she was so caring and compassionate towards me. We talked about why I was here and I saw the sadness in her eyes. I would get used to "the look". The look that I would get many, many times in a day. The look that I would respond to by reassuring people that I was going to be fine. It was OK - I was going to make it. The resident anesthesia guy and the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me. I went through my diagnosis with them and again why I was there. I saw the look again. I explained that I was going to be OK and that I was strong and healthy. The anesthesiologist commented on how great it was that I was so positive and that a great attitude makes such a big difference. He told me that they were going to take very good care of me and I knew that this was true. I put all of my faith and trust in them. After they left to go and get ready for surgery the nurse came back to get me. I asked her if they put a little something in my IV because I was surprised at how relaxed I felt. No just my antibiotic and my drug to bring down the swelling in my brain. Wow!!

As I was wheeled into the operating room I was sure that I had entered another world. It was like a time warp into the future. Everything looked so high-tech and complicated. The OR was amazing looking! The surgical resident came over and introduced himself and let me know he would be operating on me with the Neurosurgeon. They started attaching some equipment to me and that was the last thing that I remember. I was out! So during the next 1 1/2 hours I was unaware obviously of what was happening. My family, I found out later, was being kept up to date with how things were going. We had an angel in the OR! This is when the miracle happened..... The surgeon came out to let my family know that they got it all. The tumour was gone. It ended up being bigger then they thought - about the size of his fist. But it was gone! I woke up in the recovery room and the surgeon came in to let me know the good news. Although he had the most serious look on his face the entire time. Yes it was the melanoma - cancer but all I heard was that they got it all. They allowed Jeff and my mom into see me. I knew it was good news as soon as I saw their faces. Happy!! All of the prayers and good thoughts worked! The surgery was a complete success. It couldn't have gone any better! We were so happy and so was the surgical team. It was like everyone was celebrating this victory! A miracle!!

I had no ill effects from this surgery which was another reason to celebrate. A lot of times brain surgery can cause other problems but I had none. It truly was a miracle! I did NOT have to have my head shaved because the surgeon just parted my hair at the incision site and clipped along this line. You couldn't even tell. They even washed my hair before I woke up!! Unbelievable! I got to visit for a few minutes with the family before having a rest. I was actually feeling pretty good considering I was just waking up from brain surgery. I even had a nice chat with the nurse about her husband who also has melanoma. He had a skin lesion years ago and thankfully has been fine ever since. It's amazing I find how you can connect with so many people when you can relate to their experiences. I spent a few hours in the recovery room before being transferred to the step down unit where they would monitor me closely overnight. My mom stayed with me over night to help take care of me. I am so fortunate to have a mother that loves me with such intensity. I know that she will always be there for me - no matter what. This is part of the magical feeling that I have experienced. I could feel so much love from all of you! The emails, the phone calls, the notes and cards. I really could feel it all from you and it gave me so much strength and determination! I am thrilled that I have so many people fighting along beside me and I thank you all for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment