Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Courage

Well, I'm into my second week back on the Interferon and am doing pretty good. I was pretty sick last week so am glad that my body is adjusting. The fatigue is starting to set in though and I wake up tired every morning. It will take me some time to get used to this again. I have been mostly hanging out with the boys by the pool the last week or so. The weather has been great and it keeps them entertained so they are not driving me too crazy!! I have to admit that having three boys at home while I'm on chemo is very challenging. I'm just glad that they are all pretty self sufficient. No diapers to change and no bottles to make. I can't imagine if this was happening a few years ago! If only they didn't fight with each other! Boys....!

Jeff and I are celebrating our 10 year anniversary tomorrow! Wow! I can't believe 10 years has gone by! We have been through a lot together and each hurdle has brought us closer together. This latest challenge - dealing with my cancer diagnosis - has shown us that we can make it through anything together. I know how difficult this has been for Jeff, always wanting to make this right and having no power to. It has been a crazy couple of years for us so we will definitely be celebrating this occasion!!

I was thinking the other day about my friends that I recently met at the retreat. I think about them all the time but as I pictured the circle of people that quickly became like family to me I was thinking about how much courage it takes to be a cancer survivor. What would you trade to live? I'm sure that if you put together all of the pieces of ourselves that we have had to give up because of this disease we could make an entire human being. Many still suffer the effects of chemotherapy or radiation treatments. The scars..... When you are faced with losing your life I think you would trade anything for more time on this earth. The courage and bravery of these survivors amazes me! What would you be willing to trade for your life?

1 comment: