Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Best News!!

It's Tuesday and usually my worst day on treatment and I feel fabulous!! I am so excited to write this blog this morning to let you all know that I had my thyroid biopsy yesterday and it went amazingly well! I was very nervous both about the procedure itself and the results. But seeing other people going in to the room and coming out with a bandaid on their neck and a smile on their face was very reasuring. My sister came with me and was actually allowed into the room with me during the procedure. The doctor doing it was great! She answered all of our questions and was very forthcoming with any information that we needed. She started with an ultrasound to check things out. There was more discussion and then we went ahead with the biopsy. Now, I am not going to lie and say this was a piece of cake. It really was painful. They did freeze the area first but you can imagine how tender the area of your neck is and what it feels like to have a needle in it. Ouch! I could feel myself sort of breathing slow and felt like I sort of went into myself. (if that makes any sense) I have learned that pain like this doesn't last forever and knowing this I can get through it. Once it was frozen the biopsies were a breeze.

This is what we found out from the biopsy. It is definitely not melanoma! Huge relief! I know the chances were very slim that it would have been but sometimes I find myself in the small majority of people and so know that this is possible. It is very doubtful that this is cancer of any kind since it shows no charecteristics of this. Obviously, we have to wait for the pathology report to come back to be certain but it looks like just a benign nodule! I can't even tell you how relieved this makes us! The thought of dealing with another type of cancer right now was very overwhelming and unimaginable. Now, like a friend of mine said yesterday, we can focus on kicking some melanoma ass!

Some more exciting news - I was interviewed by Girltalk with Marlo the other day and this show will air online Jan. 19th @ 8:30pm CT. Hopefully this will bring some awareness to Melanoma and young adults dealing with cancer. Marlo is starting a show with the topics focused on woman's issues. Definitely worth checking out! You can stream the interview live @ http://girltalkwithmarlo.com.

I can't thank you enough for all the prayers, good thoughts, positive energy... sent the last couple of days. It has been a rough couple of weeks with alot of ups and downs but knowing that I have so much love and support has gotten me through this. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Natalie, it is a beautiful, but cold day here in St-John's, reading your blog just made it a little warmer:-)

    I will continue to send my energy towards a benign nodule and think of you. I know I say that every time, but you are consistently proving me right;-): you are a very inspiring person!

    Have a fabulous day my dear and talk soon...
    Karine

    ReplyDelete